Monday, March 18, 2013

Simplicity 2177 Part 1

So I mentioned last night on 'The Twitter' that I have a serious case of ADD when it comes to crafting/sewing at the moment. I start something, then start something else...it's a good reflection of where my head is at at the moment, and nothing can change that very quickly- so the projects may continue!

I thought it may help to document some of them- then I have to show a finish eventually, right?

So I'll show 'The Dress' first! I've had this pattern for a little while, and originally planned to make it for a Xmas party frock last year; time got away from me! I forgot about it. Then I found this amazing emerald/peacock green Marc Jacobs silk/cotton fabric reduced to $12 a metre at The Fabric Store. It was screaming out at me!



The first problem was the sheerness of the fabric. No worries, I thought, I'll line it. The first bodice ended up a DISASTER-I thought I could sew it together right-sides-together and turn inside out. Er no, and the attempts shredded the seams of the superfine fabric.

Luckily a call to the store gave me happy news that there was some fabric left on that sale roll (how about that luck!) and it was another $2 off!

So this one went in the bin and I started again!


 This time I followed the pattern more and lined the bodice and inserted the sleeve, and finished the edges with binding.



I originally sewed the binding by machine but thought the seam was a bit off putting- do you agree?







                                              I then unpicked and hand stitched the binding down- a big difference, I think! Worth that little bit extra!
 So the sleeves are hemmed, and the skirt attached etc. All that's left are the hem and zip. Given the fabric and that ugly seam from the machine sewn bias, I'm thinking of a hand picked zip- any thoughts? The stitching will be seen either way, and after the effort from the bias binding, I'm thinking why not?

 

 Oh, and thanks to the old Fem-bot for modelling and helping me fit it! (The new one is put away now, I lost some weight (yay!))


No comments: