Sunday, July 19, 2009

Productive

Ahh, nothing like a productive afternoon. Heater on, trackies and uggies, and a bit of sewing.
I've been thinking about doing something with the piece of curtain for a while, it cost me $2 at BSL. It looks like the May Gibbs characters in Snugglepot and Cuddlepie.

I've also been lugging around for years these cross stitches I did back in my wild days. I cross stitched almost obsessively during my teens and early 20's, giving many away when babies were born, or just keeping them. These were counted cross stitch on linen, I think. (Technically, I create something vintage!)


They've now become cute little cushions for Little Miss bed- well, I could hardly sell them, could I? I like to think I create heirlooms!

The curtain piece was used as the backing, I boxed the corners on these cushions, too, which made them look nice and square.
Of course, we now have to read the book, starting tonight, hmm, hope the Banksia Men don't scare us!
oh, well, plenty of other characters to enjoy!


6 comments:

Jennie said...

My best friend cross stitched a May Gibbs sampler for Little Jack: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v34/veevs/sIMGP0263.jpg

Nikki said...

I love it when we use something for our kids that we made but was not intended for them.... there is something romantic about this for me. Like we subconsciously knew they were on there way to us...

Bird Bath said...

I love May Gibbs and her botanical babies + characters form the Aussi bush landscape. Just splendid!
These cushions are sure to be treasured for a long, long time!

Cathy {tinniegirl} said...

They look fantastic. How cool that you get to put your own vintage creation to use years later. Love it.

Claire (ethel loves fred) said...

Gorgeous cushions, they match the day bed perfectly. Wish I'd spent my teens cross stitching!!

Anonymous said...

The cushions are gorgeous! I recognise the spines of those Enid Blyton books. They are priceless. To think that they were politically corrected later on.