Friday, February 14, 2014

Grainline Moss skirt

So now I've shown you my 'disatser', time to you show you the successes! These are ones I've titled 'it wont happen overnight, but it will happen'! 

I bought this pattern, as I've tried a few other patterns, but the real reason I made it was it made everyone look skinny! Lets face it, isn't that why we chose a pattern as we want to look like the model on the cover ? Well, I do, apparently!

So I used some sparkly denim Ive had in the stash forever, and completely stuffed it up the first time- I managed to put the fly in back to front! and couldn't face the unpicking, so onto the UFO pile it went!

Luckily I decided, as I'm sure most of us do, that the beginning of 2014 is for finishing of the UFO'S! And I'm actually enjoying it! Take this skirt....

I persisted with the unpicking- and the zip went in surprisingly easily! The the waistband, and before I knew it...

I'm a bit in love with the pockets! Ahh, Liberty....

Sneaky late night shot. I added the bottom panel, I don't think anyone needs to be subjected to my thighs...

And the day time photo shoot! These little slides are amazing, and stay done up well. It's been on high rotation and is super comfy for work...I do tend to leave a glittery trail on any chair I sit on, but that's cos 'I'M A FAIRY' hehe

So then I had a plan. I'd made a green fluro denim skirt when I was procrastinating about mending the other one (yep, I'm fickle like that) but didn't 'love' it- I didn't add the bottom band, so it was a bit short, and I had a cunning plan with some cut up denim I had from jeans...

Ta-Da! Unfortunately, I don't have the grain of the bottom panel going the right way, so its a bit bunchy around the hem.

  Another masterful zip! (I did this one right first time, Go figure!)

And added some cute back pockets. I realise this breaks up the expanse of 'green butt' that was the other reason I didn't love it!

Some cute pockets too.

Got time for one more? I had a Laura Ashley brand skirt from the op shop that I was wearing to started getting a bit loose, so I thought I'd take it in so I could keep wearing it. after it sat on the mending pile for about 6mths, it fit perfectly again! But the waistband was a bit stretched, so an unpicking unveiled the truth.

  No interfacing on the waistband! I added some, of course, and put it all back together.

And added the nifty slide thing. The buttonhole was all stretched, and I ended up shaving about 1/2inch of each end of the waistband.

I won't bore you with the details, but I also whipped up this one as my 'first day back at work' outfit.

Problem is, I have this in my head the whole time I wear it!

2 comments: said...

I really really really really need to learn how to follow a pattern!!

Unknown said...

i love this bunny fabric