Sunday, October 3, 2010

Blogtoberfest '10 Day 3

Grrrr, today is a whingy one.
One you might all; be familiar with, but I need to get it off my chest!
Why can't you get things repaired anymore? I'm so sick of this disposable society!
Number One is my coffee machine. If you don't know, Ms Curlypops kindly gifted me her coffee machine she wasn't using anymore, in return for coffee whenever she visits, and not long after (and coincidentally after I descaled and cleaned it) the steamer stopped working. It took me ages, but I finally went here, one of 2 places in Melbourne that Sunbeam recommend to repair their machines. They glanced at my machine, then told it was too old to bother with (7yrs old, apparently), it would cost $99 to look at it, then $200-$300 to repair it. So I might as well buy a new machine for $189 (av price in the shops)
So I thought I'd tackle the next problem, the broken camera (the reason for no pics for this post, and iPhone shots lately. Good to note- Harvey Norman have your receipt on their computer, so don't spend hrs looking for receipt (like I did! I didn't find it either). yep, out of warranty. Yep, $99 to look at it. Yep, buy another one.
I heard somewhere recently things are made to last 12mths, then you're meant to buy a new one, that sucks! Granted I can't afford the repairs, but I also can't afford a new one. I would wait patiently if I knew it could get fixed!
Now I can't find the camera- maybe in the hast, I left it on the counter at the shop, I got it home and the child said 'oh, well, we need a new one anyway'! So now I have lost the memory card and rechargeable batteries.
Some days I shouldn't get out of bed......
(PS I've tried to add spaces into this post, not working well, sorry!)

15 comments:

Sue said...

Oh thank goodness Im not the only one having a whinge lately! I had to take my camera to Harvey Norman too and got told it would cost $100 to look at it which was more than the price of the camera. It is just ridiculous. They need to make things like when we were young and appliances lasted a good 10 years or even more. Imagine how rich you could be by opening a store that fixed all those broken things!

Selina said...

Oh tell me about it. I gripe about this all the time. I've had major problems with my $800 washing machine that my husband bought me to make washing easier (pffft) it has had to be fixed twice since we got it (luckily both times under warranty) the first time the motor had burnt out.... it was less than 12 months old!!! The thing that pisses me off the most is that the old machine wasn't actually broken. It was about 20 years old and my hubby just thought it would be nice to have an upgrade. Should have stuck with the old one. Sometimes it does pay to pay that little bit extra to get the extended warranty, because as you said things these days are really only built to last 12 months. Hope you feel better after your rant:)

Cathy {tinniegirl} said...

Bugger on both fronts. I'll check with Ms L about where we had our coffee machine repaired when it broke. I don't think it cost anywhere near that.

I might also have a solution on the camera front. I have a digital one that I want to sell, which might be suitable for you.

I'll email.

CurlyPops said...

They just don't make things like they used to. It's such a waste!

Gina said...

Hear hear. I'm still waiting for our (2 year old) oven to get fixed. The front glass on the door randomly exploded and shattered over 8 weeks ago, and it was just out of warranty. We were actually advised by the manufacturers to 'get a new oven' rather than try to get the glass fixed because it would only cost a bit more! GRRRR. Well, we are still waiting for the right glass to come in. It sux.

Brighton Breezy Sarah said...

Oh, I so empathise with this - things are not much better here in old Blighty - there are still people who can fix stuff but they are slowly but surely being inched out by chain stores able to pay higher rents - in this "disposable everything, buy a new one" world "fixers" are a dying breed and it makes me MAD as HELL ...

Hope you get your memory card back?

Andi said...

Thanks god today is nearly over!!!

Leonie said...

Agree. Sucky bloomin disposable society.

Melanie said...

Bum :-(

I totally agree. A friend recently had her oven looked at, and was told that at 4 years old, it was 'old', for an oven! Un-fricken-believable!!!

I married a bit of a fixit man. He's great with computers and electronics, not bad at small appliances, and his dad is good with cars, which is extra nice, but the disposable mindset still drives ne crazy.

Anonymous said...

it really does suck this whole no repair caper I have heard that things lasting for a year thing for a while now and bigger things like fridges and washing machines that easily used to last 25 years or more like my nan's and mum's first ones well that's a joke now you would be lucky to get to 10 years with white goods and tvs for that matter, it's a bloddy rip off

Julie said...

I'm hearing you Bec. $300 to get one hot plate on my cooktop fixed, may as well buy a new one. Having said that I'm glad I can still get repairs on my 40 y'old sewing machine done. I don't think I could aford a new one of those every year.

Tania said...

If it's any consolation, for the last year, our family has been standing, holding down the toaster for the time it takes to toast bread! I hate the idea of a perfectly working (well) toaster in landfill!

Bianca Jae Makes Stuff said...

Check this out http://www.storyofstuff.com/
very very interesting and worth the 20mins viewing time xox

Finki said...

So refreshing to read your post and peeps comments.
I'm right there with you baby!
Laminater died...Fridge leaking and camera gave up the ghost on the first day of our school holidays. and every stoopid sales assistant advised we "Just buy a new one, cause it wasn't worth fixing" grrr....I felt exactly the same as you..... Why is technology developed to only last as long as it takes for them to make the new model for you to re buy....sux...sux...sux.
and ....when it rains, it hails. grrr

small forest said...

I recently took some sewing machines in to be repaired and the man told me to go past the dump on the way home! One was worth fixing out of three! I didnt go though