Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Oppy finds




I have had two awesome vintage finds this last week, one that was actually from an op shop, the other off Ebay. I suppose Ebay isn't exactly the same as an op shop find, the latter being so spontaneous and the find usually unneccessary but essential at the same time.




The first is an amazing chenille bedspread. I became a huga fan of these about a year ago, knowing nothing about the 'shabby chic' phenomenon, just loving the texture and how they look in quilts etc. I raided my local op shops, after lots of looking on Ebay, one of the op shop ladies even went home and got some out of her shed to sell to me! I have a big pile I regularly cut from, and one has even become a top sheet on kiddie's bed, she loves it (purple). The best thing about most of mine is they have been under $5. This green swirly one, the fanciest I have found, was $3- ridiculous, considering I could cut it into 1,000 pieces and make 3 times as much. I don't even think I will cut it- it may make it onto my bed!




My second find is these self covering buttons. I bought a hair tye with a great little bauble- when I got home, I realised it was a self covered button! What a great find, a new craft item for me to make kiddy. I bought these square ones thinking how original they would be- $5, lo and behold, they are so vintage the cardboard is creased and they are preserved in plastic! I can't touch them, but at the same time want to make something amazing. I feel they would be a waste sitting in a drawer, and would love suggestion as to their use.




Looking forward to another find soon.......

1 comment:

Claire (ethel loves fred) said...

I LOVE chenile blankets, I have just bought a cream one at the oppy that reminds me of your green one, all swirly. I don't think I'll cut it, too nice as it is!