Thursday, May 16, 2013

Dresden madness!

I didn't realise I hadn't blogged these cushions- uploading pics to Google + takes forever, so by the time they're done, I feel like I've already blogged it! It's not till I went back through the albums....well, here they are!

I've made these before,  and have been itching to do a cushion for me, like this one. And I'm slowly making my bedroom over, so why not some big boofy bed cushions?


I used mainly fabrics from 'the pool room', ie my extra faves! Some were hard to cut into, but so worth it! The white fabric is a bargain- in my op shopping haunts I found a bolt of 'cotton/linen' for $3.25! I should have measured, but I wasn't fussy....but there will be LOTS of usage, it's a lovely fabric to work with.

  
Some simple quilting...


I found this cotton sateen in the furnishing section at Spotlight, and thought matching backs for all the cushions would be cute (after first thinking what a great frock it would make!) Some green binding 'makes it pop' according to my stylist aka Little Miss!


Another one I did was using some fabrics I've been collecting  from scrap packs! They are all made by Leslie, from Maze and Vale. Her fabric is- Just. Gorgeous! I'd wanted to try this type of quilting for a while, and thought this was a good project for it. 



 I love big fat squishy cushions, great for sitting up against while reading in bed!


To assist my pillow obsession, I came across this book, and snapped it up! Actually, I got it between the squares one and the Dresden, but can't be bothered changing all the pics around! I'm loving these cushions, as they are like mini or doll quilts, just cuddly haha.

So, another Dresden project. Hey, if you are onto a good thing, stick to it!

A colleague at work is having a baby, so I made a little quilt to gift from the team. I'd made an earlier one that I still love (and have, it will be listed for sale soon!) but some detective work proved that this colourway suited her better.

Oh, the best bit about the Dresden stuff? Quick! The longest bit is picking the fabrics! If you've never tried them, do it! My top cushion was a one day job!

 
I did some 'echoey' quilting (yep, I'm sure that's a real word haha) with a yummy stripe binding- that isn't on the bias, it's a diagonal print. 'Make me a candy cane toy' was the request from the Little Miss!


  I used a vintage sheet for the back, which thankfully she loved!



I'm not 100% happy- for some reason, I thought I'd go around the Dresden's a few times, and did some Dresden quilting in the big white space- but left too much unquilted space for my liking! Of course, I only noticed after I saw the pics...and it was gifted and up in the baby's room! Oh, well, next time!


I received a possible order for a similar quilt on the back of this one, from another colleague- but unfortunately they have had to pull out- so it will also be listed for sale. keep and eye out here for the listings/announcement/whatever-shop I decide on opening!

3 comments:

Julie said...

Love them!!! Must do some more myself soon. Cushions for our bed would be nice too.

Deborah said...

I am IN LOVE with your dresden pillow!! Gorgeous!

Mistea said...

The big pillows are lovely. The dresden quilt is gorgeous, Lucky colleague.